Ever since we installed the wood burning stove back in the house, we have been having issues.
With smoke. And because of that, it smelled like a campfire in the house. Yuck.
From what we could tell, not enough draft was being created to pull smoke up the chimney, so it would come back down into the house through the chimney. Which made for a rather smokey living environment at times.
And because of that (and the fact the Husbear has been burning green wood and not seasoned), the chimney was getting quite a buildup of creosote. You know, that bad bi-product stuff that can be highly flammable…
Well that’s no good either! Argh!
After doing some research, we found out about a product that would help create an artificial draft. So we ordered a Tjernlund Auto-Draft Inducer to install in the chimney.
Basically, it’s just a fan that pushes air up the chimney to help create a draft.
Installing it wasn’t the easiest of feats. I had to cut a hole in the chimney wall (which is when we discovered the little issue with the creosote build up), and then do a song-and-dance to get it to fit just right.
Eventually I got it installed, and we did a test burn.
The unit itself didn’t seem that well sealed: it leaked smoke from the welded seams! So I sealed those with fire barrier sealant. After that, I’d say it works!
There’s no smokey smell in the house, no back draft, and hopefully, less creosote build-up in the chimney system.
The only sucky thing is it takes electricity to make the inducer go, so if the power goes out, we’ll get smokey again. But we do have a generator, so I guess that’s always an option.
All this just to decrease the usage of the central heating system in the house.
Until next time...