It’s been a busy month, in many ways: the holidays, the tattoo studio has been crazy busy, and the floor in the bathroom is installed!
Heated floor mats…
Why they price them by the foot, I have no idea, especially when you have to buy the entire thing. But so it goes.
Now we have to wait 30 days before we can turn on the heated floor. Nothing like anticipation.
And then I started the laying of the tile.
I realized that doing an entire 40 pound bag of mortar at one time was a little more than I could handle. By the time I got about 3/4 of the way through, that last 1/4 was starting to harden. So I started halving the bags each “session” after the first weekend.
milli frequently inspected my work at all times. If she didn’t like the way I placed the tile spacers, she was quick to bat them out. 😉
Next time I design a room, I need to remember to NOT do anything with funky angles. *sheesh*
And then we got to pick out the grout color. Which took the both of us forever to decide. Unlike paint, once the grout is installed it’s not something you can just roll over and change. We went with a dark color that was close to the darkest wood grain color in the tile.
The grouting was an interesting process. It was like the day after bad Mexican food induced Botulism. So much wiping!
It took several wiping sessions to get all the haze off the tile. And probably a few more just to make sure before the entire bathroom is complete.
Once we have completed the installation of the wainscoting and the fixtures, we’ll apply a sealant to the floor that will give it a wet look. As you can tell from the last two photos, the tile and grout look way better “wet”. At least to me.
Up next, starting the wainscoting…
Until next time...
The rains started late Christmas night. And it’s still raining as I type these words. But it’s finally letting up.
Between the tornado warnings and flash flood warnings, I’m really tired of hearing that Emergency Broadcast System tone over the last two days. We ventured out to my favorite watering hole Saturday afternoon/evening, and it was “funny” because the entire restaurant would squeal out with that sound as everyone’s phones would go off simultaneously.
The Husbear came home to this wonderful mess happening Saturday night.
This is, or was, our driveway. We just can’t seem to get it fixed.
And this is coming down from between my workshop and the chicken barn. The deluge was so great the embankments couldn’t contain all the water.
Water was also starting to come into the back of the house from the back patio, as the drainage couldn’t keep up with the deluge. But luckily he worked his magic and got that corrected quickly.
Sunday afternoon we ventured into town, and were greeted with this monstrosity.
Normally Little Sugar Creek is just that: a VERY little creek, without the sugar. Today, not so much.
When you enlarge this picture by clicking on it, you’ll see the tree line way off in the distance. That’s normally where this little creek sits.
What’s funny to me is that a developer wanted to fill this area with very high-end homes. That would have ended… badly.
Everything seemed to become a river around here.
There was so much rain and runoff that it actually ate out culverts. Not small culverts either, mind you. The one you see in this picture is 3′ in diameter.
And this is the normally dry creek bed in front of the house.
Somewhere downstream is most of our driveway. I guess we’ll be getting that fixed. Again.
There are many roads in the area that are closed due to bridges and culverts washing out, and some people are trapped in their homes because of that. So we lucked out there that only one end of our road was washed out.
Tomorrow it’s supposed to not be raining, so I’ll venture out on the property and see what other damage may have occurred.
Until next time...