Today I had one goal: to clean up the shed that sits next to the house. It’s more-or-less the tool shed/garden shed/storage shed. During the winter months it tends to get a little neglected and things pile up in it since I don’t like to be out in the cold.
So I start cleaning at around 11 this morning. I’m pulling things out of the shed and stacking them outside in nice, organized piles. I’m even disposing of items that “need to go”, and sorting out the remainder. During the cleaning, I move a shelving unit and what do I find? A HUGE pile of termites and pulpated wood. Crap! Not good. Especially when you live in a 116 year old home made of—you guessed it—WOOD!
After showing my findings to the husbear—who has been working in yard landscaping—we investigate more and find the floor supports have been eaten and some of the lower walls were showing signs of damage.
After discussing our options, we decide to raze the shed instead of having it treated and replacing the damaged wood. I guess this pushes ahead the plan on replacing the shed. The new, replacement shed was on next fiscal year’s “to do list”.
Razing the shed complicates things. Now I really have to go through everything, disposing of all sorts of things I collected over time (which was a problem anyway). We took what didn’t get disposed of up to the peafowl shed for temporary storage.
We knocked down the shed today, and the husbear will start cutting it up tomorrow on his day off and take the remnants up to the wood pile for burning. We want to get it away from the house as soon as possible to avoid any termite contamination. I guess we’ll also have the termite company come out and inspect the house again just to make sure.
What a day. All I wanted to do was clean up the shed. I guess this was one extreme way to do it.
All that, and I still somehow managed a smile.
Until next time...